One hundred and fourteen years ago, the wealthy Lathrop family generously funded the building that houses the New Jersey Firemen's Home, currently located on the avenue now named after its founding family in Boonton, NJ. In 1897, Colonel Byrd W. Spencer approached the State Association to request a statute to buy 88 scenic acres in Morris County for the Home. He was granted the opportunity to purchase the land for $25,000, and oversaw the construction of a retilement home for the aged, destitute, injured and disabled flrefighters of New Jersey. The first residents were admitted on Sept. 22, 1900.
READ THE ARTICLE